If you are ever in an oral emergency, stay calm and take note of your current state of affair. Sometimes, a simple fix can prevent any further damage from occurring. In many cases, treatment cannot be done at home, and a visit with your doctor or dentist should be done as soon as you can. Listed below are some common oral emergencies that can occur and the steps you should take:
– If you have an object stuck in your mouth, try using an interdental cleaner such as dental floss to remove the item. Never use sharp objects to try and remove them.
– It is common to bite your tongue and lip, especially while eating. If this occurs, wash your mouth out with water to keep the wound clean. Apply gauze until the bleeding stops. If you severely bite your lip and tongue, you may need to see a doctor for stitches.
– If a tooth becomes dislodged or falls out, it may be possible to save it. Immediately store it in milk or an approved tooth-saving product such as Save-A-Tooth, or place it back into your mouth socket without hitting the root, if possible. Visit your dentist to cement it in place. The important thing is to keep it moist at all times.
– If you crack or fracture a tooth, clean the area around the tooth so it is clean and clear of debris. If you are bleeding, use gauze on the wound until it stops.
– If you have lost a filling, use a piece of chewing gum or dental cement to cover the area until you get treatment. If you have lost a dental crown, cover the area with a cotton swab preferably coated in clove oil.
With all your oral injuries, be sure to visit your dentist as soon as possible. Dr. and our team at Smiley Dental Buckner can help with your treatments and recovery. If you would like to come see us at our dentist office in Dallas, Texas, please contact us at 972.616.0060 to speak with a member of our team. We look forward to helping you in any way we can!